Month: March 2014

WIP update: Possessed Marine #2

Before beginning the new project for the competition in May I wanted to wrap up a few models I had begun. Since I already did a messy basecoat on the second Possessed Marine in the squad, I wanted to finish it up. Find out more shots of Mr. Claws after the jump. (more…)

The New Project

A fellow hobbyist told me that there will be a miniature competition coming up for the last week of May this year in Istanbul. It will be primarily focused on fine scale models of military and civilian vehicles, ships and aircraft, as well as some small-scale figures. They are however also opening up a booth for fantasy and sci-fi enthusiasts like me. While I don’t really see myself as a competition painter, I thought this will be a good chance to meet some new people to spread the word about my blog, convert some hobbyists toward the Warhammer franchise and to just have some fun. Take a look at what I’m planning as an entry after the jump.

(more…)

The Background

Choosing a background for the minis you spend hours on is almost as important as painting them. Usually the approach is to display the minis with a white background, eBay style, with no shadows showing if possible, unless the mini is predominantly colored in white. Find out more about my ups and downs in this quest after the jump.

(more…)

The Possessed

In my last post I mentioned that the main difficulty with the more demonic Chaos Space Marine models is determining where armor and weapons fuse with flesh. When it comes to the possessed, aside from a few select minis this distinction is clear. Here you can see my first possessed model bearing the colors of the Black Legion. Find out more shots and my approach after the jump.

 

(more…)

The Legion

Moving on with the finished models… Here is the test unit I got for the new Black Legion army I am preparing for display. This little fella is from the Chaos Space Marine Battleforce pack and is part of a 10-man infantry squad. Find out more angles of the model and some WIP shots after the jump, as well as my thoughts on the Black Legion.

(more…)

The Honored

Before beginning with the new models I wanted to quickly wrap up what I have been up to before the start of this blog. I will upload the work-in-progress (WIP) and showcase photos to their respective tabs you can see above. So, let us start with the Honored Imperium set, the Space Marine Statue, handed to me by my dear buddy, Xasf.

Honoured Imperium Set, Space Marine Statue

Honoured Imperium Set, Space Marine Statue

I really like this model. The statue itself has a sort of severity to it, and the many cracks and damaged surfaces really lend themselves to improvisation for the hobbyist. Lots of large, angled surfaces makes this a blast to dry brush. The assembly was, like many large models, a bit problematic due to join lines clearly showing on large flat areas like the legs and the fur coat. A quick application of Revell’s Plasto and a gentle sanding of the surface helped cover most of these imperfections.

The model is primed black. For the bronze base color I went with Warplock Bronze, then applied Agrax Earthshade to the recesses before any aging effects. A quick dry brush of Balthazar Gold over the raised edges made the highlights on the model, which I think works well enough. The standard recipe on GW shows lots of different hues for blends and chippings, but since I wanted to manually age this I skipped on the extra work because I think all the detail would be diminished by the washes to come. The base under the statue was painted Revell Granitgrau, followed by a soft dry brush of Dawnstone and Ulthuan Grey. For the skull I used Ushabti Bone with a Nuln Oil wash.

I went with an aged look to the model through some verdigris/patina effects, but didn’t want to age it so much like the one on Games Workshop. Mixing a few bluish greens and diluting it a lot, then applying the paint to the recesses manually worked almost as well as the new technical paint, Nihilakh Oxide. Don’t get me wrong, the new technical paint range is very good on its own, but keeping a bit of imagination is always a bonus.

Looking back at the model I think I could fix the following issues (plan for the next piece of scenery):

  • Using files to manually sand strands of fur. Right now it looks like as if a dozer roughly went over the shoulders.
  • Layering the cloak. Not sure if this is very effective with metallic paints, but I should try.
  • Paint the model in sub-assemblies. I always get zealous and assemble the model to see how it looks but I discovered (!) blue-tack for dry fits.
  • Getting a large brush with harder bristles for dry brush. The one I have is synthetic with soft bristles, so I got some brush marks here and there that I want to avoid.

So there you have it. The model doesn’t need rocket science in assembly or painting, and adds a lot of character to any scenery it used with. Recommended to anyone who would want to experiment with verdigris or simply want to add an awesome giant icon of the Imperium to their collection.