WIP: Heldrake #6

As the frequency of the posts suggest I’m having trouble finding adequate time to have some quality painting sessions for all the concurrent projects. However, I had to get stuff going as having too much of a hiatus is devastating on a hobbyist and would pretty much lead to inaction indefinitely. Check out what I’m working on after the jump. 

This weekend started with a sudden realization that I have a lot of parallel projects but have very incremental progress on them. Checking back at the calendar also worked as an eye opener since by the time this post airs I will only have one full weekend left for quality work time on the model before the competition day comes! So I decided to give the Heldrake priority at the moment and put the other models on hold for the time being.

I had left the sub assemblies at the priming stage and had used a can of Chaos Black to cover the model. Looking under proper lighting revealed that I had not covered all angles on most pieces so I decided to take out the good old Imperial Primer to touch up any missed spots. It is really irritating to see that the spray can is very powerful and short controlled bursts are required to keep the details from clogging up with the paint. Weather conditions can also adversely affect the covering quality, as grainy surfaces or patches of dried paint do show up if you’re not careful. And I have to say, the smell of the paint is very strong and stays with the pieces for quite some time. I had to use the kit’s box to carry the pieces back to my workbench at home but by the time I opened the box again to take the pieces, the vapors had already settled all around and were released to the entire living room. It wasn’t fun to try and air the living room for hours!

Following the example I set on my Nurglings, I prepared painting sticks for the pieces. This allowed me to paint any missed spots without bothering about if I touched a painted part or not.

The sticks can be clipped off and the join surfaces can be sanded at a later time.

The sticks can be clipped off and the join surfaces can be sanded at a later time.

With very large surfaces it is difficult to see how much paint is needed from the pot, and how much thinning this base paint requires. When you check out Duncan from GW on their Youtube channel they always seem to work almost out of the pot with very little thinning. However even with a droplet of water the primer goes very runny and has very poor coverage. I did my best, but still there are a multitude of parts that still need attention. The flat surfaces worked quite well, and can be saved for last for the glorious gold from Vallejo.

I’m not sure about the color scheme yet, even if this will be Black Legion primarily. I will go for an aged look for the weapons (flamer and claws), some hue of red for the organic parts (still torn between a lighter color and the rich Khorne Red) and a little OSL on the vents in the belly, the eyes and the flamer in the mouth. I haven’t seen a lot of washes applied to Liquid Gold series paints, they always have a very reflective surface. Perhaps I can skip the shading altogether. I also want to break up the huge black armor pieces somehow (a few Horus eyes should take care of this mostly) but I’m open to suggestions at this point. I’ll have to dedicate an entire session for the correct application of the Liquid Metal paints when the time comes.

Finally a shot from a new project I felt I should check out. Can you figure out what it is (hint: it’s not 40k)?

New piece

Advertisements

4 comments

  1. On the imperial primer pot…I can’t ever seem to get it to work right. It seems either too watery, so I put too much on, or it doesn’t seem to cover at all. Do you fill in the crevices with multiple coats of the imperial primer?

    Like

    1. I tried it this weekend with just a little diluted paint and it became quite runny. There were lots of parts to cover so I moved from piece to piece, getting back to the first parts when all were done. It took me two thinned coats to get a nice uniform black coverage.

      Also, the coverage of Imperial Primer next to spray coating of Chaos Black looks very different. The black armor panels will probably need a cover of Primer or Abaddon Black to look uniform.

      Like

      1. Hmm…did you shake the pot vigorously first? Mine just seems so runny (without water added). It always goes down extremely transparent, and doesn’t seem to give any coverage at all. I’ll try a few coats and see if it improves. If not, maybe I got a bad pot! Thanks for replying!

        Like

      2. I always shake them before use, and if I see them becoming too thick after a painting session, I add a few drops of water to keep them running. The paint lends itself to individual minis like infantry but larger models would be a lot better off with spraying it seems.

        I seem to have a problem with dried out paint on the side of the cap, I remove these and dilute in a palette. Solves lots of problems.

        Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s