Month: September 2014

Slow Progress

This is not a huge post about the hobby update, so no page breaks this time. I expected to have some more time to spend on the ongoing kits but ended up doing other things, planned and unplanned, so just a little work done. I fixed up some more pieces for the Spawn units, clipping and removing mold lines as it goes. So I have a few limbs and one head complete. Not brave enough to remove the eyes yet, as they’re tiny and I’m sure I’ll either lose them on the carpet due to a mishap somewhere or our bird will mistake them for beads.

I also started the base colors on the Nemesis weapons, finally. I spent the weekend pondering about what to do about the colors and decided I’ll use the flat black and white colors with the most vibrant blue I can muster, and simply (!) blend them together on the blade. So far I put in a coat of Leadbelcher for metallics and some gold areas, the rest of the painting comes this week (hopefully).

Probably needs a second coat before the washes. I'll have plenty of space for blends on the sword, but the hammer I'll leave "off".

Probably needs a second coat before the washes. I’ll have plenty of space for blends on the sword, but the hammer I’ll leave “switched off”.

This week will be exciting both work-wise (late hours probably) and because of the coming of a few special occasions (more on this on another post), it will be difficult to finish the Dreadknight before the break. We’ll see how it goes.

Unfinished Business and Model Frenzy

Last week I mustered the courage to sift through the ever-growing heap of models I have which have collected some dust over the counters and in the open. The models include both the GW brand that I have prioritized as well as some old favorite scale models of planes and tanks from Revell. Read on to see my thoughts on the hobby and a remedy to the increasing-number-of-models-syndrome. (more…)

WIP: Maulerfiend #3

The past weekend I was looking forward to completing the Dreadknight project by finishing the force weapons, however I couldn’t decide on which technique to use and was unsure of the color scheme for all the blends. So I switched to the primed Maulerfiend sub-assemblies and started applying basecoats. Not the most exciting news to be honest but this lets me keep the work flowing. Find out my progress on this beast and the work plan after the jump. (more…)

The Spawn

The Dreadknight project is coming to a close at last which means I can get rid of one more box of kits from my collection. Having worked on larger models for a few months I want to ease back to smaller figures. Thus I thought I need something in the middle to get me on the right track. The Chaos Spawn models along with the relatively smaller Maulerfiend should do the job. Find out my review of the Chaos Spawn kit and a few early WIP shots after the jump.

(more…)

WIP: Dreadknight #7

Well, this is certainly taking more than I’d like to spend on a single model but I can’t shake off the feeling of wanting to switch to other kits while WIP projects continue. Thus I’m trying to get my bearings, have a little discipline and finish off the last bits and pieces of the Dreadknight so I can move on to the Maulerfiend with no worries. I’m also anxious to present the model to its owner, which really shows how terrible a commercial painter I would be! Check out my next update on the Dreadknight after the jump.

(more…)

99 Luftballons: Berlin Visit!

The week of business visit/sightseeing is over and I am glad to be back home once more. While the first few days of our trip were pretty much dominated with work related meetings, I got to create some quality time with my wife and an old friend for the remainder of the week. I also made a much needed visit to a certain place, but I’ll spare you the spoilers! Find out the highlights of Berlin after the jump (image heavy post!).

(more…)

WIP: Maulerfiend #2

I wanted to make up for the long silence with a better post for today, however time limitations and other scheduled items took precedence over the hobby for the past few days. Even then, I did work on the Maulerfiend and checked back with my unfinished Dreadknight. Take a look at what I’ve been up to after the jump.

(more…)