The Spawn

The Dreadknight project is coming to a close at last which means I can get rid of one more box of kits from my collection. Having worked on larger models for a few months I want to ease back to smaller figures. Thus I thought I need something in the middle to get me on the right track. The Chaos Spawn models along with the relatively smaller Maulerfiend should do the job. Find out my review of the Chaos Spawn kit and a few early WIP shots after the jump.

I visit other blogs often both to collect as much information as possible about techniques and conversion ideas, as well as some painting inspiration. What I observed so far in these blogs is that there is very little information on how people approached the Chaos Spawn models. No one seems to have reviewed it either. So I would like to present my little review and thoughts on the kit and perhaps go for a step by step tutorial on how I assembled and painted my Spawn.

The kit contains two sprues of bits two put together two different spawn, an “instruction booklet” and 40mm bases both for WH40k and WHF units. I quote “instruction booklet” since it is not a set of instructions per se but a guideline for the numerous possibilities of mutations for the models.

The sprues contain a whopping 80 pieces for just two models. Talk about design options! Better yet, only 4 of these are used to build the main body. There are a variety of eyes and tentacles to choose from, which makes the kit even more appealing to me.

OK, I think I have established how much I liked the kit so far. Lots of options and good amount of details make me happy. Let’s move on to cleanup and some dry fits shall we?

Uh oh...

Uh oh…

I guess this explains the lack of love for the model: the first thing that shows up with the body pieces is that the cast has very large join lines that beg for attention. And I’m not talking about a quick LGS application, this needs the real deal to fill the joins and sculpting tools to blend the epoxy into the original cast. No big deal, not every cast can be perfect, but this kind of defect could really be avoided. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the casts are older compared to the newer Chaos models. Good news is this creates an opportunity for me to hone my (currently 0) skills in sculpting!

So far I have cleaned up the body bits of the first spawn that has the clawed foot and assembled it. Also removed all mold lines from a few selected arms and tentacles. Will see which ones to use where with some Patafix later.

Some last remarks about the kit:

  • The kit is a treasure trove for those who like conversions. 76 pieces of Chaos bits in one shot? Yes please.
  • The body casts need some work. Those who worked with resin and Forgeworld should be set just fine as they’re used to modifications, but other modelers may be put off by this. Just be ready to put some effort and you’ll get a nice model.
  • At 12.5 GBP per model the kit is very expensive, considering the quality of the joins. However I think the spares left after assembly and the quality of the actual pieces makes up for it.
  • Some arm choices, when assembled together on the model, may interfere with the brush movement. To avoid this, work in sub assemblies.
  • If you’re using the default bases, rework the model to accommodate the uneven legs. Or be cool and create a new base altogether and you’re golden. Pinning is key.

It’s good to be able to write more often like this, I’m hoping for more relaxed weeks at work until the end of the year. Planning to make good headway this week with the current projects!

Advertisements

3 comments

  1. That is one bit treasure box right there. That’s almost a daunting amount of options. I think the reason you don’t see many people talking about these guys, is many blogs cover both the game, and the hobby as well. I don’t think these models have been particularly good in actual play (outside of the crimson slaughter supplement). It’s good to see an actual review of the kit though!

    Like

    1. I can already see myself using these spare pieces in future models. That’s partly the reason I stopped working on the troops, and there’s a lot to tackle.

      As long as I provide valid information for those who seek it I’m content. It’s just not fair to just stick to the wargaming aspect of WH and WH40K considering that these models are pretty much premium quality models with a high price attached to them.

      But yes, I see the pattern you mentioned in earlier posts about the Heldrake for example, when it had 360 degree reach with the Baleflamer (I think) everyone was hyped about the model and its capabilities in combat.

      Like

      1. Nurgle marked spawn are actually pretty good. The problem with these models are that even though there are so many options there are only two basic poses for the legs and torsos so any group of them starts to look odd unless you do some serious converting. That one of the feet is up on a lump of something looks pretty peculiar too. Also most of the bits left over are too large to use with normal infantry figures, so after building a unit you have a lot of pretty useless bits that GW have charged you a huge premium for.

        Personally I bought a box of two from a discounter and used that to repair 3 more spawn and a bunch of chaps hounds (mostly missing tails) picked up cheap off of Ebay. still have lots of bits of bits left.

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s