Quick but significant update today. I went back to the Obliterators to continue cleanup and assembly to the point where painting would not be prohibited. However I soon realized that the “short clean-up session” would turn into a much more complex situation. Check out my progress and struggle with these beauties after the jump.
Starting out with the arms I quickly removed the pieces from the sprues with the clipper. For some reason the shoulder plate trims have been designed somewhere close to paper-thin, which makes it absolutely necessary to clip a good distance away from the edge of the model and clean up later.
The plastic packaging works very nicely holding the pieces and also makes you notice any broken pieces that tore free from them.
Terribly blurry pic, but the skull is covered in thin flash, easily removed with a brush.
Here’s an example of the shoulder trim. Not only is the edge broken/miscast but the tethered pieces hang like a leaf on a dying tree!
A good indication of an unreliable component: transparent film-like parts where light shines through.
More broken pieces. I saw on all left arms that some piece of the model is missing.
I thought long and hard on perhaps leaving the pieces as battle damage, but I think they deserve more attention.
Ouch! I guess this kit will really test my skills with using Green Stuff.
Never a welcome sight to see your cast is not as good as it seemed to be, but a good modeller should be able to make the best out of any situation. As gamers would say, less crying, more playing. Let’s see if I can at least conceal the errors on the model and then I’ll think of actual remedies like repairing the shoulder pads.
Next up I moved on to the bodies. As before, the plan was to assemble the chest and the legs together to form a nice, paint-friendly canvas. As before, the chest pieces and legs that are supposed to go together are packaged in their own sprues. Here’s the build-up phase:
Like the arms, I separated the different body/chest combinations. The body from the previous session is in the back.
The chest and the body pieces require the most attention as they have many surfaces that have immense detail.
The pieces of the second Obliterator fit a lot more snugly compared to last session’s.
Some LGS magic should happen on top…
… and the bottom.
Here we go, bubbles. The bodies and chest pieces were riddled with them. Also the feet are a mess, but pinning will take care of everything.
I left the washing phase for after assembly with bodies. This yellow patch is what you should look out for before priming, it’s the substance that preserves the resin during the moulding and has to be removed.
Here’s a tiny piece of flash that got shipped along the terminator armor lens, right next to the head area.
After very careful application of the scalpel, it is removed and looks a lot better.
Here’s the assembled piece.
The third body is an identical copy of the second. However the damage was more extensive: the chain link has missing pieces.
The fleshy parts have a mould line, and the sides did not align during the moulding process apparently. May have to modify that later.
A good way to determine which body goes to which chest piece…
… is to check the grooves and protrusions on pieces.
More bubbles and vents. Clean-up and repairs will be extensive.
The foot was held by 4 vent pieces. I get it, gets the model more stable but 4 vents? A little overkill I think.
Some flat surfaces need a little sanding to get rid of the grainy effect. Gotta look out for details to prevent damage.
More broken/miscast parts. A pity really, but I think I can manage it.
Body has a lot of flash, be ready with a brush to remove most of them.
Other stubborn pieces need careful application of the hobby blade.
Just look at that! So much flesh detail and it’s almost impossible to discern it from flash.
The groin “details” are actually flash!
Dry fit test after clean-up.
Right side seems decent…
… so is the top, may need some attention…
… left will need work!
Assembled model. I later removed the little piece of vent next to the lens with the knife.
Needless to say I was a little disappointed to see so many bubbles on delicate parts like chains, hoses and even fingers! This will test my patience to the limit it seems. But the rewards will be so much more when I’m done with them.
It’s always a good idea to do some research on how the models should look like before assembly by either checking other blogs, the net or the box art itself. I realized its importance when I clipped away the remaining Obliterator pieces from their sprues. Since the demonic flesh and the terminator armor fuses on so many places in indiscernible ways it is very difficult to figure out which part is sculpted detail or just some resin flash in hiding!
The GW paint job is great, both as inspiration and as a way to check the parts on your models!
Scrubbing the models with an old, soft toothbrush really helps getting rid of the excess however for the more stubborn pieces you have to carefully inspect every little millimeter on the pieces. It gets extra fun when looking at tiny pieces like faces!
An old cast but still conveys the agony these guys are in so well.
Assemblies and model preparations are going better than expected. I like working with resin, much less resistance than plastic which suits my style of incremental, little changes. I find myself damaging plastic more due to the sheer force I apply during scraping, but resin was a much better medium in comparison.
And for the closing part some finished shots.
For the coming session I have some more assemblies going, but this may take more time to prepare than what I’ve been up to so far. Let’s see if I can handle that one as well before I start priming the models in the weekend.
See you next time!