dreadknight

Tutorial: Wet Blending

12.01.2015 Update: I have put together a shorter version of this tutorial using Prezi. You can find it here

Welcome to the first tutorial on Roemer’s Workshop!

Today I’ll be sharing the technique I used for the force weapon effect on the commissioned Dreadknight model‘s Nemesis Greatsword. Wet blending can be used on a variety of places however it is generally used to apply NMM (non-metallic metal) effect on miniatures’ metallic parts: swords, armor plates, shields etc. This is a demanding yet rewarding technique for those who would like to improve their paint work. Hop in for a gander after the jump.

(more…)

Advertisements

Showcase: Grey Knights Nemesis Dreadknight

Wow, what an adventure this kit was. I got to test myself in lots and lots of new techniques (for me that is) and learned quite a bit from my mistakes. This is also the first model I commissioned (so to speak) so that taught me a few things too. Check out the last WIP session and a few 8 sided shots after the jump.

(more…)

WIP: Dreadknight #8

I can already hear you folks saying “hey look another WIP post!” or “that is taking ages!” but let me tell you I had some really frustrating moments with this step of the model. I ran into some problems on each painting session but in the end I think I pulled this off nicely. Check out my experience with the Nemesis force weapons after the jump.

(more…)

Slow Progress

This is not a huge post about the hobby update, so no page breaks this time. I expected to have some more time to spend on the ongoing kits but ended up doing other things, planned and unplanned, so just a little work done. I fixed up some more pieces for the Spawn units, clipping and removing mold lines as it goes. So I have a few limbs and one head complete. Not brave enough to remove the eyes yet, as they’re tiny and I’m sure I’ll either lose them on the carpet due to a mishap somewhere or our bird will mistake them for beads.

I also started the base colors on the Nemesis weapons, finally. I spent the weekend pondering about what to do about the colors and decided I’ll use the flat black and white colors with the most vibrant blue I can muster, and simply (!) blend them together on the blade. So far I put in a coat of Leadbelcher for metallics and some gold areas, the rest of the painting comes this week (hopefully).

Probably needs a second coat before the washes. I'll have plenty of space for blends on the sword, but the hammer I'll leave "off".

Probably needs a second coat before the washes. I’ll have plenty of space for blends on the sword, but the hammer I’ll leave “switched off”.

This week will be exciting both work-wise (late hours probably) and because of the coming of a few special occasions (more on this on another post), it will be difficult to finish the Dreadknight before the break. We’ll see how it goes.

WIP: Dreadknight #7

Well, this is certainly taking more than I’d like to spend on a single model but I can’t shake off the feeling of wanting to switch to other kits while WIP projects continue. Thus I’m trying to get my bearings, have a little discipline and finish off the last bits and pieces of the Dreadknight so I can move on to the Maulerfiend with no worries. I’m also anxious to present the model to its owner, which really shows how terrible a commercial painter I would be! Check out my next update on the Dreadknight after the jump.

(more…)

WIP: Maulerfiend #2

I wanted to make up for the long silence with a better post for today, however time limitations and other scheduled items took precedence over the hobby for the past few days. Even then, I did work on the Maulerfiend and checked back with my unfinished Dreadknight. Take a look at what I’ve been up to after the jump.

(more…)

A Solution for Lighting

For quite some time I wanted to get myself a proper light box to get better photos of the miniatures I work on and one time I even built one from scratch, using a cardboard box and some copying paper for sides. While it was adequate for diffusing light, it was still bulky (no way to carry it around) and quite fragile due to the paper sides that could just break any time. Then last week it got thrashed by the cleaning lady and pretty much became useless. So, I looked around for a mobile alternative and found Foldio, by orangemonkie and ordered one to see how it works. Find out what I think about the product after the jump.

(more…)