Since I spent the earlier Wednesday for the April Fool’s post (tell me you got it, come on), let me share the miniature work with you today. I do have some legitimate progress (although it’s not much) on a few models so hop in to see what’s been going on at the Workshop after the jump.
Wow, what an adventure this kit was. I got to test myself in lots and lots of new techniques (for me that is) and learned quite a bit from my mistakes. This is also the first model I commissioned (so to speak) so that taught me a few things too. Check out the last WIP session and a few 8 sided shots after the jump.
I can already hear you folks saying “hey look another WIP post!” or “that is taking ages!” but let me tell you I had some really frustrating moments with this step of the model. I ran into some problems on each painting session but in the end I think I pulled this off nicely. Check out my experience with the Nemesis force weapons after the jump.
This is not a huge post about the hobby update, so no page breaks this time. I expected to have some more time to spend on the ongoing kits but ended up doing other things, planned and unplanned, so just a little work done. I fixed up some more pieces for the Spawn units, clipping and removing mold lines as it goes. So I have a few limbs and one head complete. Not brave enough to remove the eyes yet, as they’re tiny and I’m sure I’ll either lose them on the carpet due to a mishap somewhere or our bird will mistake them for beads.
I also started the base colors on the Nemesis weapons, finally. I spent the weekend pondering about what to do about the colors and decided I’ll use the flat black and white colors with the most vibrant blue I can muster, and simply (!) blend them together on the blade. So far I put in a coat of Leadbelcher for metallics and some gold areas, the rest of the painting comes this week (hopefully).
This week will be exciting both work-wise (late hours probably) and because of the coming of a few special occasions (more on this on another post), it will be difficult to finish the Dreadknight before the break. We’ll see how it goes.
Well, this is certainly taking more than I’d like to spend on a single model but I can’t shake off the feeling of wanting to switch to other kits while WIP projects continue. Thus I’m trying to get my bearings, have a little discipline and finish off the last bits and pieces of the Dreadknight so I can move on to the Maulerfiend with no worries. I’m also anxious to present the model to its owner, which really shows how terrible a commercial painter I would be! Check out my next update on the Dreadknight after the jump.
For quite some time I wanted to get myself a proper light box to get better photos of the miniatures I work on and one time I even built one from scratch, using a cardboard box and some copying paper for sides. While it was adequate for diffusing light, it was still bulky (no way to carry it around) and quite fragile due to the paper sides that could just break any time. Then last week it got thrashed by the cleaning lady and pretty much became useless. So, I looked around for a mobile alternative and found Foldio, by orangemonkie and ordered one to see how it works. Find out what I think about the product after the jump.
Here we go with another WIP post. I know you’ve had it with the slow progress on the kit but this time I’m really close to having the model finished until the mêlée weapons are complete. As you can see from the spotlight shot I completed the mid-level highlights on every part of the model except for the pilot who will receive some extra care, then assembled the model to its final form. Check out my progress on the Dreadknight after the jump and see what is to come in the next post.