Another short update today as I’ve been busy preparing for next week’s business trip to the States. I’ve been naughty again and as the cover photo suggests I’m working on my Khorne Bloodthirster. This is one of the models that show you the how far the plastic injection technology has improved compared to the earlier models by GW as the detail on the model is very crisp with less and less mould lines. Once I fix the join lines with some Green Stuff I’ll prime it and get to painting straight away as I foresee this to be my last large project before the inevitable change in schedules in November.
Size comparison between the two-handed axe and a Daemon Prince. This guy is huge.
… and so are his wings.
Look at all the detail on the flames…
It will be quite fun to paint them.
Sub-assemblies done. Without tack it’s difficult to hold all of them assembled with one hand!
I also assembled a Necron Wraith, for fun. Might gift it at a later point.
Gotta love the Canoptek models!
In other news I decided that I hate the skin work on the Random Encounter mini so I decided to start anew with a base layer of Cadian Fleshtone. Hopefully I’ll be able to work with thinner glazes to get where I want to go and won’t have to strip the entire thing.
That’s all for now folks, hopefully I’ll have more colors in the next update the week after.
And what do you know, we’ve reached the 100th post in the Workshop! Time really does fly when you’re having fun. You’re in for quite a treat today. After quite a few weeks of inactivity I decided to get back to the hobby front in full force and start completing some projects at hand. And as promised, the next showcase following the Dreadknight is the Necron Lychguard, intended as a birthday gift to my fellow hobbyist Xasf. Took my sweet time on the models but in the end I’m content with the results. I also have some further news regarding the position I’ll take on the blog as well as some nice last WIP and showcase pics of the Lychguard, but for that you’ll have to make the jump!
Another short update this time. This week I made some more progress with the Lychguard – sorry no Showcase posts for the week as I threw down the towel a bit too early on the work trench it seems and still suffer from irregular office hours. I did finish (I think) the golds on the ornaments and am ready to switch to the healthy green glow on the weapons and shields, base colors put down on those and looking for the next opportunity to paint a bit more. Here’s the tally of last weekend’s session.
Added Runefang Steel to Burnished Gold in droplets for each layer. I stopped before the color turned predominantly silver and gave the surface a last wash of Seraphim Sepia.
Definitely not as good as the store pics but I’m content – I got real tired of fixing this over and over.
I like the shine with angled lighting, we’ll see how they look in a lightbox.
The head crests really lend themselves to extreme contrast NMM gold – I think I’ll go with that next time as layering with metallics is very difficult in small surfaces.
Added the green orb on the last head.
Metallics and gold done. Finally.
As the title pic suggests Xasf joined me this week to work on his Necrons – a lot faster than me to say the truth – and finished his Ghost Ark. Way to go man!
Those robots always creep me out but seeing them dormant like that… chilly.
The proud owner!
Looking forward to the weekend for more painting and hopefully, finally finishing the Lychguard and gift them. It’s about time I got to other models now!
Since I spent the earlier Wednesday for the April Fool’s post (tell me you got it, come on), let me share the miniature work with you today. I do have some legitimate progress (although it’s not much) on a few models so hop in to see what’s been going on at the Workshop after the jump.
Your favorite workshop is open once again after a week of silence. And what a week it was! Between business and sickness I got very little time to spend on the miniatures and deadlines came-a-knockin’. I picked up yet another kit, this time for a birthday and prepared it for primer over the weekend. Lastly I touched up the Spawn in preparation for the primer session but I guess I’ll have to retouch that as well. Check out my progress with the minis after the jump. (more…)