Space Marines

WIP Update: Week 1 of April 2015

Since I spent the earlier Wednesday for the April Fool’s post (tell me you got it, come on), let me share the miniature work with you today. I do have some legitimate progress (although it’s not much) on a few models so hop in to see what’s been going on at the Workshop after the jump.

(more…)

Advertisements

WIP: Death Company Dreadnought #1

The full assembly of the latest project is done! I have to say the Blood Angels Death Company Dreadnought turned out to be a lot more fun than I imagined, I guess it’s the perfect size between a giant mech like the Dreadknight and the regular Space Marines that makes this a breeze to work with. I opted for a full close quarters fighter and will try to apply some battle damage during the paint job, but I hear it’s quite difficult to pull off correctly for a primarily black color scheme. We’ll see how it goes. Now working on the Prezi for the assembly of this little kit, stay tuned for more!

In other news my self-healing cutting mat has arrived yesterday on the post, which is in and on itself a relief. It fits beautifully on the Project Box but is loose. To fasten it I used four pieces of UHU Patafix on the corners which seem to have stabilized it for the moment. Here are a few shots of the cutting mat, I think the design is pretty cool.

The Lure of the Loyalist

Opening the workshop today with quite a gloomy weather in Istanbul. The past week and the weekend continued to offer me little time to spend on the hobby, so no painting post today, sorry. Instead, I delved into a mini that I’ve thought of for some time and spent some quality hours playing board games with my dearest friends over the weekend. Hop in to check out what I’ve been up to.

(more…)

Showcase: Grey Knights Nemesis Dreadknight

Wow, what an adventure this kit was. I got to test myself in lots and lots of new techniques (for me that is) and learned quite a bit from my mistakes. This is also the first model I commissioned (so to speak) so that taught me a few things too. Check out the last WIP session and a few 8 sided shots after the jump.

(more…)

WIP: Dreadknight #8

I can already hear you folks saying “hey look another WIP post!” or “that is taking ages!” but let me tell you I had some really frustrating moments with this step of the model. I ran into some problems on each painting session but in the end I think I pulled this off nicely. Check out my experience with the Nemesis force weapons after the jump.

(more…)

Slow Progress

This is not a huge post about the hobby update, so no page breaks this time. I expected to have some more time to spend on the ongoing kits but ended up doing other things, planned and unplanned, so just a little work done. I fixed up some more pieces for the Spawn units, clipping and removing mold lines as it goes. So I have a few limbs and one head complete. Not brave enough to remove the eyes yet, as they’re tiny and I’m sure I’ll either lose them on the carpet due to a mishap somewhere or our bird will mistake them for beads.

I also started the base colors on the Nemesis weapons, finally. I spent the weekend pondering about what to do about the colors and decided I’ll use the flat black and white colors with the most vibrant blue I can muster, and simply (!) blend them together on the blade. So far I put in a coat of Leadbelcher for metallics and some gold areas, the rest of the painting comes this week (hopefully).

Probably needs a second coat before the washes. I'll have plenty of space for blends on the sword, but the hammer I'll leave "off".

Probably needs a second coat before the washes. I’ll have plenty of space for blends on the sword, but the hammer I’ll leave “switched off”.

This week will be exciting both work-wise (late hours probably) and because of the coming of a few special occasions (more on this on another post), it will be difficult to finish the Dreadknight before the break. We’ll see how it goes.

WIP: Dreadknight #7

Well, this is certainly taking more than I’d like to spend on a single model but I can’t shake off the feeling of wanting to switch to other kits while WIP projects continue. Thus I’m trying to get my bearings, have a little discipline and finish off the last bits and pieces of the Dreadknight so I can move on to the Maulerfiend with no worries. I’m also anxious to present the model to its owner, which really shows how terrible a commercial painter I would be! Check out my next update on the Dreadknight after the jump.

(more…)